BTEC HND Music Production


  • International Students, H.E. Students


To apply for the HND in Music Production, you will need to do so through UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Services), who administer all Higher Education Courses in England and Wales. Please visit their website, and follow the instructions, selecting United Colleges Group then City of Westminster College (W51) as the institute where you wish to study.
To apply directly for the HND in Music Production click here. 

What does the course include?

This Higher National Diploma aims to produce a competent music technology specialist, commonly known in the music recording industry as a programmer, or a product specialist in the music/recording equipment distribution or retail industry.

The course includes the following modules:

Year 1

  • Creative Arts Research Skills
  • Music In Context  
  • Computer Music Systems
  • Music Studio Production
  • Music Health and the Law
  • Music Technology
  • Studio and Facilities Management
  • Studio Recording and Engineering

Year 2

  • Critical Music Listening
  • Preparation, Process and Production in the Creative Arts
  • Live Sound for Small Venues
  • Live Sound for Large Venues
  • Live Sound System and Specification and Operation
  • The Music Business in the 21st Century
  • Sound Creation and Manipulation
  • Planning for Public Performance

There is an option for a work experience unit depending on your sound related work outside of college.


How is the course assessed?

Coursework and continual assessment, practical assessment tasks and where possible – work based opportunities.

Where does it lead?

This course is specifically designed to prepare students with the knowledge, skills and experience they need to begin a career in the music and sound industry, or alternatively to progress on to the final year of a relevant degree course.


The College has links with several organisations which specialise in student accommodation. These offer a range of types of accommodation and prices vary depending on location, homestay or independent living, whether meals are required and whether you want a single or shared room. The College does not have its own accommodation. 

Equipment and other costs

If you are a UK student planning to study a full-time or part-time higher education course you may be eligible for a tuition fee loan to cover the cost of your course. If you study full-time you may also be eligible to receive a maintenance loan and a grant to assist you with living costs.

These loans do not require repayment until you have finished your course and you are earning more than £21,000 per year, although you can start repaying them sooner if you wish. Click here to find out more.

To apply for this course please do so via UCAS, the UCAS reference for this course is W37L.

What qualification do I get on completing this course?

Higher National Diploma in Music Production

Where have students gone to after completing this course?

University, Higher Education study

Is there additional work required by the student?

To successfully complete this course you will be expected to spend a number of additional hours a week on assignments, project or field trips.

What are the expected employment areas with this course?

Sound Engineer

Awarding Body

Entry Requirements

What do I need to get on to the course?

You need to be at least seventeen years of age with four GCSEs at Grade 4-5 (C) AND one A level, or an equivalent qualification (e.g. BTEC National Diploma, or GNVQ Advanced Level 3 in an appropriate subject) for the HND year 1.

You will then progress to the HND year 2 programme. You will be asked for some written work so that your academic written level can be assessed. Mature applicants without formal qualifications will be considered on their individual merit. As much practical material, be it creative or technical, should be collated into a form of show-reel or portfolio. This will give admission tutors a clearer idea of music technology ability and in turn helps us provide a greater learner experience.

The interview process

All suitably qualified applicants (including those who expect to gain the necessary qualifications in June) will be interviewed. The interview will be formal and likely either 1:1 with the course leader or 2 members of the course team. It will take approximately 30-45 minutes. You will be asked to explain of describe previous musical and music technology experiences. Any relevant industry experience and based on grades, experience and proven ability including examples of previous work may be asked to complete a piece of research and written work. This will allow tutors to correctly asses ability and skills at levels 4 and 5 necessary for studying on the programme.


Higher Education Fees

Paying for your course

To cover tuition fees, loans are available from the government. You may also get support towards your living costs. The amount you can borrow depends on where you live and your household income. There is also extra support for those with special circumstances, for example, if you have children or adult dependants, a disability, long-term health condition, mental-health condition, or specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia or dyspraxia.

How are these loans paid back?

You must pay back Tuition Fee Loans and Maintenance Loans. You pay interest on these. 
You don’t have to pay back other student finance such as grants and bursaries.
Repayments are based on your income, not on what you have borrowed. 
You only start repaying the loan once you’ve left university or college and your income is over £25,000 a year.
  • Repayments are 9% of everything earned in excess of £25,000.  
  • If your income drops below this amount repayments stop.
  • Your repayments will be taken out of your salary at the same time as tax and National Insurance if you’re an employee.
  • If you’re self-employed HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will work out how much you pay from your tax return. You pay at the same time as you pay your tax.
As a part-time student who earns over £25,000 a year you have to start paying back your loans after 4 years even if the course hasn’t finished. 
After 30 years, regardless of what you have already repaid the debt is wiped. If you never earn over £25,000 then you will never have to repay the loan.  
For the most up-to-date information visit or check out some of their guides below: