The Corporation (Governing Body) of the College was established in September 1992 under The Further and Higher Education Act 1992 (FHEA) for the purpose of conducting City of Westminster College. The College is an exempt charity for the purposes of the Charities Act 2011. The Governing Body, through the Executive, steers the College as a whole. It works within the powers provided under the Further and Higher Education Act of 1992 and subsequent education legislation and in accordance with its Instrument and Articles which set out its composition and procedures and internal powers, responsibilities and duties. The Governing Body has also agreed on rules for the conduct of business which are known as Standing Orders.
In setting and reviewing the College’s strategic objectives, the Governing Body has had due regard
- Delivery of outstanding teaching, learning and assessment.
- Provision of a broad and enriching programme of learning opportunities focused on helping students acquire essential work experience and employability skills.
- Embracing of the diversity and achievement of every individual to ensure that they are valued and respected.
- Responding to the needs of our local communities to bridge the gap to employment for adults and NEETs (Not in Education, Employment or Training).
- Promotion and active support of volunteering in the local community.
The Governing Body is responsible for:
- The determination and periodic review of the educational character and mission of the institution and the oversight of its activities
- Publishing arrangements for obtaining the views of staff and students on the determination and periodic review of the educational character and mission of the institution and the oversight of its activities.
- Approving the quality strategy of the institution
- The effective and efficient use of resources, the solvency of the institution and the Corporation and safeguarding their assets.
- Approving annual estimates of income and expenditure
- The appointment, grading, suspension, dismissal and determination of the pay and conditions of service of the holders of senior posts
- Setting a framework for the pay and conditions of service of all other staff.
Governing Body Meetings
The Governing Body meets approximately twice per term. Governors have agreed that a number of these meetings will be open to members of the public. If you are interested in attending any meeting to observe the business of the College’s Governing Body, please contact the Clerk to the Corporation on 020 7258 2952 or email email@example.com for further details.
Minutes of previous Governing Body Meetings are available below:
- 29th March 2017
- 14th December 2016
- 12th October 2016
- 6th July 2016
- 27th April 2016
- 23rd February 2016
- 16th December 2015
- 21st October 2015
- 8th July 2015
- 13th May 2015
- 11th February 2015
- 10th December 2014
- 15th October 2014
- 2nd July 2014
- 21st May 2014
- 26th February 2014
- 16th December 2013
- 16th October 2013
- 3rd July 2013
- 22nd May 2013
- 27th March 2013
- 13th February 2013
- 5th December 2012
- 10th October 2012
- HE Terms and Conditions
- 2017-18 CWC Term Dates
- Audit Committee Terms of Reference - Approved 16 December 2015
- CWC Governing Body Meeting Minutes 10 December 2014
- CWC Governing Body Meeting Minutes 10 October 2012
- CWC Governing Body Meeting Minutes 13 February 2013
- CWC Governing Body Meeting Minutes 13 MAY 2015
- CWC Governing Body Meeting Minutes 15 October 2014
- CWC Governing Body Meeting Minutes 15th February 2015
- CWC Governing Body Meeting Minutes 16 December 2013
- CWC Governing Body Meeting Minutes 16 December 2015
- CWC Governing Body Meeting Minutes 16 October 2013
- CWC Governing Body Meeting Minutes 19th September 2012
- CWC Governing Body Meeting Minutes 2 July 2014
- CWC Governing Body Meeting Minutes 21 May 2014
- CWC Governing Body Meeting Minutes 21 October 2015
- CWC Governing Body Meeting Minutes 22 May 2013
- CWC Governing Body Meeting Minutes 26 February 2014
- CWC Governing Body Meeting Minutes 27 March 2013
- CWC Governing Body Meeting Minutes 3 July 2013
- CWC Governing Body Meeting Minutes 5 December 2012
- CWC Governing Body Meeting Minutes 8 July 2015
- Instrument and Articles of Government
- Strategy and Estates Committee TOR - Approved 23 February 2016
The Governing Body has the power under the Articles of Government, to delegate certain functions to the Principal and to its committees. The Governing Body conducts its business through a number of committees. Each committee has terms of reference which have been approved by the Governing Body. These committees are:
- Audit Committee
- Finance and General Purposes
- Quality Standards and Student Affairs Committee
- Remuneration Committee
- Search and Governance Committee
- Strategy and Estates Committee
Minutes of committee meetings, except those deemed to be confidential, are available from the Clerk to the Corporation firstname.lastname@example.org or the following address:
City of Westminster College
Paddington Green Campus
25 Paddington Green
Governing Body Vacancies
We are always keen to hear from people who might be interested in joining the Governing Body. All Governors offer their time voluntarily and are expected to attend not only formal Governing Body and relevant Committee meetings but also training events and less formal occasions such as exhibitions and performances. The responsibilities are considerable but the value of contributing to the success of the College and especially of its students is immense.
The appointment of new Governors is a formal process based on clear criteria, set by the Search and Governance Committee. We seek a balance of skills and experience to enhance our operation and we review our specific needs whenever a vacancy arises.
Experience of the FE sector is not a requirement but some familiarity with current issues affecting FE would be helpful. We positively welcome applications from women, disabled people and those of ethnic minority background.
If you might be interested in contributing as a Governor to
Register of Interests
A register of Corporation Members' (Governors) and senior managers’ interests are maintained and can be inspected upon request to the Clerk to the Corporation at the Paddington Green Campus.
The Governing Body requires all Governors to comply with its Code of Conduct for Corporation Members.
List of Governors
Vice Chair of Corporation
Afsana Begum Mirza
Academic Staff Governor
Principal and Governor
Brenda Goring Moore
Support Staff Governor