Door Supervision


  • Adults


Will the course give me what I want?

Course content

This is the qualification you need to apply for an SIA license to work in Door Supervision and Security Guarding positions throughout the UK. You will learn physical skills and techniques that may be required by security staff whilst carrying out their duties. This includes a complete knowledge of the law and current legal liabilities.

The course covers:

  • The purpose and main features of the private security industry
  • Legislation that is relevant to people working in the private security industry
  • Maintaining health and safety in the workplace
  • Understand elements of civil and criminal law
  • Understanding admissions policy and search procedures
  • Understand the powers of citizen’s arrest and related procedures
  • Understand relevant drug legislation
  • Understand incident reporting and crime scene preservation
  • Conflict Management, Resolutions and Physical Intervention
  • Public Service Skills
  • Career Planning
  • Employability training including CV writing, interview techniques, assistance with job search

On successful completion of the course, you will receive:

  • Level 2 Certificate in Door Supervision
  • Award in Emergency First Aid
  • Counter Terrorism Certificate
  • Public Sector and Work Skills Certificates
  • Door Supervision Licence (if eligible – only for JSA candidates)

As part of the programme you will undertake mock interviews with employers and be screened for employment opportunities – with a guaranteed interview with an employer if a job role becomes available, or a reference and exit interview to give you guidance - this will help you with your future job applications and interviews

You will receive Support and mentoring during the programme and as part of the after care service and you will have access to our free recruitment services to support you into employment.

Functional Skills

Functional skills development are embedded within the course programme

What have students who have taken this course in the past progressed to?

Employment in a range of sectors including: Facilities Management and the Security Industry.

How will I learn?

Practical activities related to the sector.

How will I be assessed?

You will be assessed through a portfolio of work based evidence and exams.

Equipment and other costs


For further information or to apply please contact The Business Development Team on 020 7258 2711 or email

What qualification do I get on completing this course?

HABC Level 2 Award for Working as a Door Supervisor within the Private Security Industry (QCF)

Is there additional work required by the student?

You should allow 4 hours per week.

What are the expected employment areas with this course?


Awarding Body

Entry Requirements

What qualifications or skills do I need to show I have before I can enrol?

You need be aged 19 years or over to be eligible for this course. You will also be required to sit an initial assessment and IAG session to determine whether the course is suitable for you. You need to have a Literacy/English level to at least a Level 1 standard – this will be determined in the initial assessment. If you do not meet this level, we may suggest you be referred onto a different course.

You need to be able to provide:

  • Proof of benefits (Job Seekers Allowance)
  • Proof of ID and residency
    • UK Nationals: Passport or Full Birth Certificate + 2 proofs of address (no older than 3 months)
    • EU Nationals: Passport, EU ID Card/Travel Documents or Birth Certificate + 2 proofs of address (no older than 3 months)
    • Non UK/EU Nationals: Passport/ Home Office Documents. 2 proofs of address (no older than 3 months), and proof of residency in the UK/EU for 3 consecutive years
  • No criminal records - CRB check (overseas CRB check also required for those who have spent more than six months abroad in the last five years)

Expected prior knowledge


English level

Level 1

Mathematics level

Entry 3


Financial Support for 19+ Year-olds

Are you aged 19 or over? Are the costs associated with study (e.g. travel, buying additional books or equipment) preventing you from studying? The College has a limited Learner Support Fund (LSF) and 24+ Advanced Learning Loan Bursary Fund (24+ALL BF) to help with these costs.

The funds are small. You cannot presume you will get financial support even if you meet the eligibility criteria. Eligibility for help towards course associated costs are based on your personal circumstances. In addition to demonstrating that you are on a low income, you must also meet the College’s general eligibility.

General Eligibility Criteria

Learner Support Fund:

  • Aged 19 or over
  • Considered to be a home student
  • Fully enrolled on a course funded by the Skills Funding Agency

24+ Advance Learning Loan Bursary Fund:

  • Aged 24 or over
  • Fully enrolled on a programme of study and in receipt of a 24+ Adult Learning Loan

Financial eligibility

You need to have evidence that you fall into one of the following groups:

  • on a low income
  • a dependent of someone who is on a low income or in receipt of a means tested benefit e.g. Income Support / Jobseekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance, housing benefit etc.

The evidence you will be required to produce:

  • a current JSA/UC/ Income Support/Pension Credit letter, a Tax Credit Award notice showing income for tax year 2014-15 or recent correspondence from the DWP/Housing Benefit office which specifies the benefit being received.
  • evidence of income may be a 2014-15 P60/Tax Return, recent pay-slips showing income evidence from previous two months from which the income can be calculated or a signed letter from the employer(s) stating the salary paid
  • proof of rent or mortgage in order for your disposable income to be assessed


Payments contribute to the costs associated with study including travel. They do not meet all the costs. If you live within walking distance of college or have a Freedom pass you cannot apply for help with travel. For students who have to travel significant distances, a payment may be made towards the transport costs, for the days you are in College. You may also use the money to buy books or other learning resources.

All payments are based on you having a minimum of 85% attendance each month.

Payments are paid into your bank accounts.

You MUST inform the DWP of any payments you receive.

Contact for more information.