UAL Level 3 and 4 Foundation Diploma in Art and Design


  • 16-18, Adults


You will be encouraged to apply investigative research as a basis for creative and practical led inquiries, through the use of different mediums, to develop your visual language skills and design ideas.

We will provide careers advice, giving you the opportunity to build a diverse art and design portfolio, ready for progression onto further study or work.

To be awarded the UAL Level 3 Foundation Diploma in Art and Design students must Pass the following mandatory units:

  • Unit 1: Diagnostic Investigation into Creative Practice (Level 3)
  • Unit 2: Developing Specialist Practice (Level 3)
  • Unit 4: Consolidating Practice (Level 4)

To be awarded the UAL Level 4 Foundation Diploma in Art and Design students must Pass the following mandatory units:

  • Unit 1: Diagnostic Investigation into Creative Practice (Level 3)
  • Unit 3: Developing Specialist Practice (Level 4)
  • Unit 4: Consolidating Practice (Level 4

What have students who have taken this course in the past progressed to?

The UAL Level 3 and Level 4 Foundation Diploma in Art and Design are pivotal qualifications, which provide a transition from general education to specialist art and design education. This enables students to make an informed decision when applying to Higher Education or seeking employment within a related industry.

How will I learn?

Practical and theory based classes will take place. This will involve developing the following skills:

  •  Initiative
  •  Independent inquiry
  • Creative thinking
  • Project management
  • Reflective learning
  • Team-working
  • Self-management
  •  Effective participation
  • Social responsibility
  • Environmental awareness
  • Ethics and sustainability
  • Problem solving
  • Communication
  • Presentation
  • Research
  • Digital skills
  • Literacy
  • Numeracy


How will I be assessed?

These qualifications are assessed through:

  • Two internally assessed and internally verified units (Unit 1 & 2 or Unit 1 & 3), which are subject to quality assurance by UAL Awarding Body
  • One internally assessed and internally verified unit (Unit 4) which is graded by the centre and externally moderated by UAL Awarding Body.


Units 1, 2 and 3 are graded Pass only. The overall qualification grade is based on Unit 4 and is graded as Fail, Pass, Merit or Distinction.

Equipment and other costs

It will be essential to have the following equipment such as pencils, brushes, pens, scissors, USB etc. It would be desirable to equip yourself with a materials art box. A materials list will be provided at enrolment.

There will be trips that you will be taken on throughout the academic year. Some of these may be free entry, but where there is a cost for entry you will be expected to pay for this yourself. Travel expenses will also be paid for by you.

What qualification do I get on completing this course?

UAL level 3 and 4 Foundation Diploma in Art and Design

Where have students gone to after completing this course?

Higher Education study, University

Is there additional work required by the student?

You will need to work independently outside of college on assignments and projects will roughly run for six weeks. In addition to your coursework there will be regular opportunity for you to visit galleries & museums, participate in additional workshops and attend talks from visiting artists.

What are the expected employment areas with this course?

Creative Arts, Creative Media

Awarding Body

Entry Requirements

There are no formal entry requirements for these qualifications.

However, it is recommended that students have a minimum of 5  GCSEs at grade 4 or grade C, including Maths and English, and one A level, or equivalent Level 3 qualification, preferably in a relevant creative subject. International students are expected to demonstrate that they have a good level of written and spoken English.

Expected prior knowledge

You will have some experience of art and design, whether through school, college or employment.

English level

GCSE Grade 4-5 (C) or above.

International students are expected to demonstrate that they have a good level of written and spoken English with a recommended minimum IELTS (or equivalent) score of 5.0.

Mathematics level

Level 2 Maths GCSE Grade 4-5 (C) or above is desirable, but not essential.


Free Meals in FE

If you are aged between 16 and 18 on the 31st August 2019 and received free school meals when you were at school, you may be eligible to receive a free meal at College


To be eligible for free meals you must be enrolled on a full time course, funded by the EFA and you or your parents must be in receipt of one or more of the following benefits:

  • Income support
  • Income based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income related Employment and Support allowance( ESA)
  • Support under part IV of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The guarantee element of State Pension Credit
  • Child tax credit (provided your parents are not claiming Working tax Credit) and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190 as assessed by HMR&C
  • Working tax Credit run-on paid for 4 weeks after a person stops qualifying for Working Tax Credit
  • During the initial roll out of the benefit, Universal Credit
  • Evidence of family income being within the threshold of £16,190 per annum. This may be evidenced by presentation of a Tax Credit Award Notice or documentation from HMRC showing actual income for tax year 2018-19
  • Parent or nominated guardian’s evidence of Child Benefit & DWP Letter confirming receipt of a means tested benefit.

All applicants will be required to provide evidence dated within four months of the application, showing that they are in receipt of a qualifying benefit.

Applications for Free meals in F.E.

A student is only eligible to receive a free meal when they, or their parent/ guardian have made a successful application to City of Westminster College.

Exceptional age group for Free Meals in F.E.

Students aged between 19 and 24 on 31st August 2019 who are subject to a Learning Disability Assessment (LDA) or Education Health and Care Plan (EHC Plan) are entitled to a free meal if they meet the eligibility criteria.

Getting your meal at College

Students must attend their classes to continue to be eligible for free meals at College.

Students will be allocated £2.50 for each day they are timetabled to be in college. There is no cash alternative. Credits will be loaded onto the Student ID card. Students must have their College ID card to get their meal. Students cannot get a meal with temporary ID cards.

Credits not spent at the end of each day will be withdrawn.

Students are advised to purchase nutritious meals. The credits cannot be spent on items such as: cookies, cakes, fizzy drinks or confectionary.

Further Education Fees

All our Further Education (FE) courses (Entry to Level 3) are free to EU residents who are under 19 years old on the 31st August 2019. For a few courses you may be expected to contribute towards the cost of specialist materials and resources. However, depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible for financial help from the College’s Learner Support Fund. You should apply for any such financial support as soon as you have been offered a place. If you are aged 19 or over on 31st August 2019 and you are a UK/EU resident you will normally be required to pay a course fee.

How much will my course cost?

The cost of your course will include tuition fees and examination fees, where applicable. Where a course requires additional specialist materials, there may be an additional cost. Some courses are cheaper than others because they are part funded by the government; some of these courses may also attract concessionary fees for some people.

19+ Advanced Learning Loan

If you are aged 19+ or over and studying a Level 3 course, you may be eligible for an Advanced Learning Loan. To be eligible for this loan, you must have been living continuously in the UK for 3 years immediately before the start date of your course. You must also be undertaking a course of study that is at Level 3 or above, e.g. National Diploma/Certificate etc. For more information click here.

Fee remission/concessionary rates

Concessionary rates are now available for learners that meet the following criteria:

  • Entry to Level 1 courses may be free for 19-23 year olds who do not already have a full Level 2 or above qualification*
  • Entry to Level 1 courses may be free for 24+ year olds who are unemployed or meet low wage criteria
  • Full Level 2 courses may be free for 19-23 year olds who do not already have a full Level 2 or above qualification*
  • Full Level 2 courses may be free or 24+ year olds who are unemployed or meet low wage criteria
  • Full Level 3 courses may be free for 19-23 year olds who do not already have a full L3 or above qualification*. 

For more information on fees and remission click here.

Discretionary Learner Support Fund

If you are on a low income you may be eligible for financial support towards tuition fees from the Discretionary Learner Support Fund. 

For further information click here.


Financial support to help with childcare

Care to learn - childcare support for young people aged 16-20

If you are aged under 20 at the beginning of your course, or moving to the 2nd year of a level 3 course, and are caring for your own child you may be entitled to £175.00 maximum per week, per child through Care to Learn. 

Please ensure you register on the Care to Learn website even if you haven’t chosen your childcare provider or the course you want to study.  Once you have registered Care to Learn will confirm financial support in principle.

For further details and help with making an application please visit or speak to a Student Advisor.

Childcare support for people aged 20+

Financial support towards the cost of nursery, childminder, breakfast clubs and after-school clubs.

If you are aged 20+ when you start a course and need financial support to help with the cost of childcare while you study the college may be able to help.

You will be required to make use of any government NEF or 2+ Funding before requesting any financial support from the college.

It is essential that you speak to a Student Advisor prior to enrolling on a course to discuss your personal circumstances, childcare needs and to find out if there are funds available.

Eligibility for help with childcare costs is based on your personal circumstances.

General eligibility criteria:

  • Aged 20 and over
  • Considered a home student for fee purposes
  • Fully enrolled on a programme of study funded by the Education and Skills Funding Agency  or in receipt of a 19+ Advanced Learning Loan
  • Discussed and had confirmation of funding for childcare support before enrolling

Financial eligibility:

 You need to have evidence that you meet general discretionary Learner Support Funds or 19+ Advanced Learning Loan bursary fund criteria:

  • on a low income / a dependent of someone who is on a low income or in receipt of a means tested benefit e.g. Income Support / Jobseekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance, housing benefit etc.

When looking for childcare please be aware:

  • all childcare providers must be OFSTED registered
  • any 2+ or 3+ government funding must be used by the student. Only additional hours needed for study will be funded by the College.
  • childcare will only be paid for days when you are attending College or a mandatory work placement.
  • students on full-time courses will be a priority for childcare funding.
  • childcare places will be subject to a contract between College/student/nursery.
  • childcare payments are made subject to students reaching 85% attendance on a monthly basis.

All childcare applicants approved for funding will be required to sign our Terms & Conditions and MUST inform the College immediately should they stop attending lessons for any reason.

Email to put your name on the childcare waiting list.  You MUST speak to a member of the Student Advice or Learner Services team before you enrol on a course.

Financial Support for 16-18 Year-olds and Continuing Learners aged 19

The Education Funding Authority has allocated money to colleges to support students who are on low incomes or the dependent of parents on a low income, and need support towards their course-related costs or essential living costs or are facing financial difficulty.

For further information click here.

For further information on financial support for Looked after Children, Care Leavers and estranged young people, click here