On this page, you will find the answers to some common questions. If you have a question and can't find the answer here or elsewhere on the College website, please email international@cwc.ac.uk.

Am I a home student or an international student?

Generally-speaking, if you are a national of a country outside the European Union (EU)/European Economic Area (EEA), you are considered an international student. There are, however, some exceptions to this rule. Please visit www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/doineedvisa for more information.

What courses can I apply for as an international student?

All our courses at Level 3 and our higher education courses are suitable for international students. Your eligibility for a particular course will depend on your academic qualifications and your level of English. You will need to check that you meet the entry requirements detailed on the relevant course information page of this website. Your level of English is an important entry requirement for our courses. You will need to show that you are at the required level by providing independent evidence e.g. IELTS Certificate and overall band score.

Please note that, in accordance with the Home Office -United Kingdom Border Agency (UKBA) regulations, we cannot accept international students onto English Language courses below B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) which has a duration of more than six months. You need to be at Level B1 of the CEFR at the time of your application.

To apply to City of Westminster College as an international student, you need to be at least 18 years of age on the first day of your course.

Click here for a full list of the courses available for international students.

What visa do I need?

There are two visas available to you as an international student: the Tier 4 General Student Visa and the Student Visitor Visa.

Which visa you need depends on the level and type of course you want to study, how long you plan to study in the UK, and whether you plan to work or undertake a course-related work placement while you are in the UK.

Generally, you will need the Tier 4 General Student Visa for:

  • Foundation Degree Level courses or above
  • English Language courses at Level B2 or above on the Common European Framework for Reference for Languages (CEFR)
  • Courses at National Qualifications Framework (NQF) Level 3 or equivalent
  • Courses at a minimum of NQF Level 3, which include a work placement element. In addition, this visa is required if:
  • Your course is longer than six months
  • You want to undertake a course-related work placement
  • You think you may decide – after entering the UK –you may wish to extend your stay as a student.

The Home Office (UKBA) operates a Points Based System, where applicants are required to score 40 points to qualify to study in the UK on a Tier 4 General Student Visa. You will be awarded 30 points for a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS), to be issued by the College, and a further 10 points by demonstrating to the Home Office (UKBA) that you can afford the course fees and living expenses.

The Tier 4 General Student Visa is required for all of our international applicants undertaking a course of 11 months or more. Generally, you will need the Student Visitor Visa:

  • For courses up to six months duration (or up to 11 months duration for English Language courses)
  • For English Language courses at or below level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)

Click here for more information on Tier 4 Visa requirements.

How much will my course cost?

As an international student, you pay more for a course than a home student. This is because studies undertaken by home students attract funding from the British Government.

The costs for each course are detailed on the relevant course information page of this website. These costs include your tuition, but do not include any accommodation, living or travel expenses. You will need to make sure that you have enough funds to cover these additional expenses, and proof of this will be required by the UKBA when you apply for your visa. Visit the UKBA website for details of the proof required.

Click here for more information on fees.

Where am I going to live?

There are lots of accommodation options for students in London – from halls-of-residence to homestay, and it is important that you have somewhere comfortable to live. We understand that you will have your own particular needs and budget, so we do not include the cost of your accommodation in your course fee.

Importantly, we advise you to organise your accommodation before you leave home. We will also be able to help you with any queries you may have and will always be on hand to advise you with any problems you may be having.

Click here for more information on accommodation.

What are the College's responsibilities towards me?

As your approved education provider, City of Westminster College will be your immigration sponsor while you are in the UK, and must comply with a number of Government requirements relating to reporting and record-keeping:

  • We must keep a copy of your passport, ID card or immigration status document. This is because we are your immigration sponsor while you are in the UK.
  • We are obligated to inform the UK Border Agency of certain things; for example, if you do not turn up for the first day of your course, have any unauthorised absences from classes, or if we believe that you are not complying with the conditions of your stay.

What does the College expect of me?

Following receipt of an offer of a place on a course of study at City of Westminster College, you must let us know:

  • Whether or not you have been granted a visa to study with us
  • If you are unable to attend your allocated enrolment time/date Once you are in the UK and have enrolled with the College, you must:
  • Let us know if you are unable to attend a class
  • Let us have your contact details, including any changes to them whilst you are studying with us. These must be independently confirmed by provision of a bank statement or utility bill.
  • Maintain regular and punctual attendance
  • Make good progress on your course to enable you to succeed

From time to time, the Home Office (UK BA) account managers or compliance officers may visit the College and may wish to talk to you as part of their visit. ​​