Skip Navigation LinksHome > Student Support > Financial Support > Financial Support for 16-18 Year-olds & Continuing Learners aged 19+

Financial Support for 16-18 Year-olds & Continuing Learners aged 19+

The Education Funding Authority has allocated money to colleges to support students who are on low incomes or the dependent of parents on a low income, and need support towards their course related costs or essential living costs or are facing financial difficulty.

In order to qualify for assistance from the 16-19 Bursary Fund you must fulfil the following criteria.

General eligibility

  • Be aged 16-18 on 31st August 2017 or

  • Be aged 19 or over on 31st August 2017 and continuing a course you began aged 16-18 (19+ continuers) or

  • Have an Educational Heath Care Plan or 

  • Enrolled on a 16-18 traineeship programme


  • A home student for fee assessment purposes.

  • On a course/programme of study that is subject to inspection by a public body that assures quality (e.g. Ofsted) and the provision must be:

  • Funded by the EFA or via a local authority.

  • Funded or co-financed by the European Social Fund or publicly funded and lead to a qualification (up to level 3) that is accredited by Ofqual or is pursuant to Section 98 of the Leaning and Skills Act 2000.

When allocating resources, the College may consider other exceptional circumstances e.g. Young carers, young people who having caring responsibilities but are not in receipt of Carer’s Allowance.


Financial eligibility (your personal or family circumstances)  

You must meet the following economically disadvantaged criteria:


Be a dependent of someone who is:


  • on a low income e.g. on Income Support / Job Seekers Allowance

    or Employment Support Allowance

  • or whose parent(s)/carer(s) have an income not exceeding £25,000 per annum  

In addition the college will have a contingency fund to support learners who are at risk of withdrawal as a result of financial difficulties with or without the above income evidence. E.g. young learners living independently and working to support themselves financially who are unable to access DWP benefits / Universal Credit.

Young carers will be supported to make applications for bursary funding.

Assessment of eligibility

  • Evidence of family income being within the threshold of £25,000 per annum. This may be evidenced by presentation of a Tax Credit Award Notice or documentation from HMRC showing actual income for tax year 2016-17 or a P45 in exceptional circumstances.

  • Parent or nominated guardian’s evidence of Child Benefit & DWP Letter confirming receipt of a means tested benefit dated within the last 3 months


  • Distribution of funds will be dependent on the number of eligible applications received.

  • The first payment will be made in mid-October.

  • Subsequent payments will be made fortnightly

  • The payments will be based on a minimum of 87% attendance each week with 2/3 of the award paid based on attendance of 87% per week, 1/3 additional for 100% attendance and punctuality

  • Payments will be paid in to the student’s own bank account


Financial Support for nominated learners (Looked after children, Care leavers or young people living independently and claiming benefits in their own name)

 The Education Funding Authority has allocated money to colleges to support students who are aged 16-18 and are:

  • In Care or

  • Care leavers (including unaccompanied asylum seeking children)

  • Previously in the care of the local authority but now permanently fostered (Special Guardianship Order).

  • Living independently and in receipt of benefits in their own name.

  • Disabled young person getting both Employment Support Allowance or Universal Credits and Disability Living Allowance or PIP in their own name.

Eligible students can receive up to £1,200 over the course of the academic year if you are a full time student on a 1 year course and have a minimum of 87% attendance each week.

The bursary is paid every 2 weeks, but you will be awarded money for each week that you have reached a minimum of 87% attendance.

Your Social Worker or Care Manager will have to confirm you are in the care of the Local authority. This can be done by letter or email. The email has to come from a Local Authority email account.

If you are living independently (in a hostel or other rented accommodation) you will have to bring evidence of your benefits.

The Student Advisors and Careers Team will offer additional help, advice and guidance to support you to stay on course and fulfil your education and employment aspirations.